Dietitians and nutritionists are important and well-paid professionals whose goal is to provide health improvement through nutrition. It’s a career with many opportunities, a great market to target and which also adds plenty of value to society.
There are many diseases which can be effectively treated by having a good diet. The dietitian’s job is to work with each client in order to meet this goal.
These are some of their functions, in this case, the principal ones:
- Help patients treat chronic conditions, for instance high blood pressure
- Help patients gain or lose weight
- Provide treatment for preventing and treating certain diseases, for instance diabetes
- Support patients who follow treatment regimens
A registered dietitian nutritionist can choose to work in hospitals, agencies or independently. These are some of the areas where a certified dietitian can work at:
- Surgery clinics
- Public health agencies
- Cancer care and treatment centers
At the same time, some can specialize in specific niches, and according to experienced professionals it’s the best way to attain better wages and better employment opportunities.
Some of the best areas to specialize in are the following:
- Sports Dietetics. The type of dietitian specialized in CSSD counsels and educates athletes. They are the responsible of designing and crafting nutritional strategies for athlthes in order to.
- Pediatric Nutrition. They are the responsible of working with people up to 18 years old. They work with healthy as well as ill children, to who they provide treatments to promote healthy growth, treat diseases, etc.
- Renal Nutrition. These are the dietitians who are responsible of working with people of all ages who suffer of renal dysfunction. They provide renal nutrition solutions in order to withstand the rigors of the treatment.
- Gerontological Nutrition. The dietitians specialized in gerontological nutrition create strategies to promote health in older adults through diet and nutrition.
These are 4 of the best specialization a dietitian can take, taking into account the size of the market. Similar to Canada and the United States of America, in many European countries this career is also well developed. You can find a list of certified institutions in Germany at this site.
It’s important to choose a certified institution with experience in teaching the career. Because the institution will play an important role when applying for job opportunities. That’s why it’s important to choose one with a great reputation and experience educating dietitians.
In order to become a certified dietitian you need to have bachelor’s degree, but in order to attain any certification, you need to take more advanced courses, for instance anatomy, food chemistry and nutrition science.
The Salary and Employment:
In the United States of America, the average salary for certified dietitians equals to $56,950 USD per year. From this average the dietitians who offer outpatient care services earn an average of $61,850 USD, whole those who work in hospital and other government positions earn an average of $52,450 USD.
And as a projection, the employment for dietitians and nutritionists is expected to grow by a 21% in the following 10 years. This growing trend is fed by a cold reality: Diseases like diabetes are growing amongst population. Therefore, people who need services offered by dietitians are growing in number.
Choosing the right niche and certifications is essential for success as a dietitian. The most important benefits are listed below:
- Opens the possibility to attain a higher salary
- Brings you more confidence on your skills and capacities
- Allows you to attract more clients
- Gives you more importance in the eyes of your colleagues
As a dietitian it’s your responsibility to specialize in a specific area, because as a result you will get more importance and relevance, which brings you chances to get a better salary, more employment options and more success in your career.
Are You Ideal for the Career?
Similar to other fields of study, the person needs to have certain skills in order to be ideal. And here you have a list which details them:
- The ability to communicate without problems is very important
- Empathy and compassion are essential
- A great passion for science
- A passion for technology
- The desire to improve every day
If you have these qualities, then it suggests you may be a good candidate for this career.